What is Pleasant Street's Smoking Turtle?
You know when you’re walking down Main Street and see that person you see all the time, but you don’t *actually* know them… but they’re always smiling and waving at you anyway? If you’re from Concord, you probably know a lot of people in this category.
If this Visit Concord, NH blog is to serve as a guide to all things Concord – then we ought to help you get to know some of your regular faces! Sure, there’s plenty of business profiles to read and award winners to check out, but what about those folks you’re always running into who are delivering, checking parking meters, headed to the Works at the same time as you every single morning… they must have a story, right?!
When I saw the smoke shop on Pleasant Street was changing ownership to the Smoking Turtle back in January, I was intrigued. Historically, these types of shops can have a bit of a reputation, but if you ask me… a niche is a niche! The Smoking Turtle has nestled itself into our downtown quite nicely over the last year.
I kept hearing such good things, so when my husband and I decided to try vaping to stop smoking cigarettes, we decided to check it out. The Smoking Turtle surprised us! Staff was ridiculously knowledgeable, took a lot of time to explain the differences between all of our options, and we left with matching Juuls that you’re not allowed to make fun of 😉Hey, it’s better than cigarettes, right?! They also carry a surprising amount of locally made merchandise.
Co-owner Kevin is a familiar face in the shop and downtown… he’s always got a smile and some really good info for all his customers. I asked Kevin to answer some questions for me:
What do you wish people who haven't yet visited the Smoking Turtle knew about your business?
- What sets The Smoking Turtle apart from the other shops in town is that we have a variety of products but really focus on American made quality glass. Specifically, locally blown glass made by a lot of great artists right here in New Hampshire and New England. We also have great prices that will fit into anyone’s budget.
What's the best part of getting to be near Main Street every day?
- Being right off of main street is fantastic due to the many great people we are able to see on a regular basis.
What's the funniest thing you've ever seen downtown?
- The funniest thing I have seen so far has been inside the store, my customers crack me up!
Where's your favorite spot in Concord (when you're not working)?
- There are so many great local businesses in Concord it's hard to choose 1 favorite. All you have to do is take a walk down Main Street and you will be sure to find whatever it is you are looking for!
One thing you wish people knew about Concord in general?
- People should know Concord is a great place to be! A clean city with lots of great people!
Do you know a regular downtowner with a story?
Let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Use the subject line “hi neighbor!” and share a little about them and a way to get in touch.
Thanks– see you downtown!
Elyssa Alfieri is a freelance stylist, social media maven, vintage lover, and all-around Concord super fan. You can usually find her at her consignment shop, Lilise Designer Resale (or LDR), on Storrs St downtown. She also really wants you to know LDR is dog-friendly.