Giant meatballs, stoves and alarm clocks: Our Obscure Facts on Concord (aka Rumford) Q+A

How did Concord get its name?

 

In 1734, the town was incorporated as Rumford. But, it took the name Concord in 1765 under  Governor Benning Wentworth following the end of a very unpleasant boundary fight between Rumford and the new town of Bow.  The new name, Concord, was meant to show the new “concord,” or harmony, between the two towns. And, no, it was not named after Concord, MA- that fight was yet to happen. And, by the way - the Rumford Stove was not invented in Concord - but -takes its name from the city. Sir Benjamin Thompson, Count Rumford invented it, and he - on becoming a Count of the Holy Roman Empire - took the name "Rumford" for Concord, where he had been married. We can’t make this stuff up…

What is Concord famous for?

Concord has been the state capital since 1808. Granite for the Library of Congress was quarried here in Concord. After all this is the Granite State. In the 19th century, the city was well known for  famous Concord coaches. And while it was not invented in Concord, Levi Hutchins built an alarm clock in Concord in 1787. 

And, thanks internet, did you know that Concord was once home to the World's Largest Meatball? Matthew Mitnitsky of the now defunct Nonni's Italian Eatery, created a 222-pound meatball. And, Concord is where Desi Northrup set a Guinness World Record by attending some 400 Bikram Yoga classes in one year in 2013–must have been the meatball.

Concord’s New Hampshire State House dates back to 1819 (happy birthday) and is America’s oldest capital city building in which the state’s legislative branches meet in their original chambers.

In 1734, the town was incorporated as Rumford. But, it took the name Concord in 1765 under Governor Benning Wentworth following the end of a very unpleasant boundary fight between Rumford and the new town of Bow. The new name,  Concord , was meant to show the new “concord,” or harmony, between the two towns

In 1734, the town was incorporated as Rumford. But, it took the name Concord in 1765 under Governor Benning Wentworth following the end of a very unpleasant boundary fight between Rumford and the new town of Bow. The new name, Concord, was meant to show the new “concord,” or harmony, between the two towns